Years ago I was cutting squares for a quilt. I exclaimed happily how it would look so great when I finished and then I caught my sister laughing. "What's so funny?"
"You're not going to finish it."
"Yes, I am!"
"No, you're not. You never finish anything."
"I am this time!"
"I'll believe it when it happens," she snorted.
I got so angry about it that I didn't ever pick up those cut squares again. Really, I showed her!
I'm still afflicted by the same un-finishing I ever have been. Just when I think I have a project in hand I OH LOOK SOMETHING SHINY OVER THERE.
It drives my loved ones crazy. It would drive me crazy too if I remembered I was supposed to finish something or other.
I made a promise to Other Half: every day this week I am going to tackle one project, one abandoned area, one neglected space and fix it. I think it will help if I share with you exactly what I'm fixing and organizing (public humiliation at a task unfinished helps, right?) I'm going to try really hard to LOOK IT'S SHINY finish something I started. I can do this.
The vintage sewing table!
- The vintage sewing table that I was going to turn into a bathroom sit-down vanity way back when I got it thrifting in the first week of December.
- The orange table has been in my family room for so long, poised to make it up the stairs after what would surely be a quick makeover, that I think I've started decorating around it. Maybe I don't want to move it! Maybe it should stay! Maybe I should stick with the original plan.
- Gift bag that we used to carry presents home from La Professora's house on Christmas Day. Still contains presents.
- Wrapping paper, yes, from Christmas Eve.
- The camera box from my new camera that I can't use because I don't have a memory card for it yet.
- The instructions for the camera that Other Half unfolded when I called in a panic from Costco to make sure I was buying the right memory card. Still have no idea if we have the right kind.
- Someone's PJs are on the floor.
- Someone's sweater and jeans on the floor.
- Baby wipes.
- Outgrown baby church shoes.
- Oh, and there's still a sewing machine inside the table that needs to be removed and the surroundings cleaned off.